Could a building control career be the one for you?

Do you have an interest in buildings, construction and/or people? Do you have an ability to understand technical plans, an affinity for maths and/or problem-solving skills? Do you have a good level of IT skills and a keen attention to detail? And are you a good organiser with great time management skills, with a keen interest in public service?

Yes? Then scroll down to see how your career in building control could develop.

(Also have a look at the LABC qualifications page to see what qualifications are available to local authority employees.)

Technical Support/Support Officer

You’ll be an excellent communicator, with a customer-focussed approach and the ability to interact at all levels. You’ll also be quick to learn and able to input and extract relevant information from a range of  software packages.

Education: You’ll normally need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade A*-C (including Maths and English) or B tech equivalents, and/or a Level 3 Certificate in building control.

How important is technical administration?


The qualities you possess will depend on the level of knowledge and experience you have when you start your apprenticeship. You’ll of course have good communication skills, be keen to learn,develop and support the rest of the team.

Education: You’ll normally need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above (including Maths and English) or a Level 3 apprenticeship in a construction or property related discipline. You may be expected to take on an LABC apprenticeship degree.

Trainee or Assistant Building Control Surveyor

You’ll have an ability to understand technical plans. You may be coming from school or college or from a related industry. Or you may be returning to work after a career break. And of course you may currently be a Technical Support or Support Officer.

You’ll have an aptitude for continuous learning as you’ll be expected to study towards a relevant degree – in building control, structural engineering or building surveying.

Education: You’ll normally need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade A*-C (including Maths and English) or BTEC equivalents, and you’ll be expected to study to become a fully qualified surveyor. Or your employer may ask for a building control degree, Level 4 Diploma in building control or a construction-related degree, HNC or HND. Alternatively you might have relevant experience in site/contract/project management.

Building Control Surveyor

At this stage you’ll have experience and knowledge of building legislation.

You’ll have relevant building control experience including plan checking and site inspections and you’ll have a driving licence.

You are likely to be managing an area of the District in which you work, with supervision from more senior staff where necessary. You may be expected to be part of an on-call rota for dangerous structures.

Education: You’ll have at least a Level 4 Diploma in building control, an ONC/HNC in building, a construction-related or building control degree and/or have Membership of RICS or ABE.  

Senior Building Control Surveyor/Building Control Manager

You’ll have had experience as a Building Control Surveyor with an ability to discuss and give advice on all aspects of building regulations, including working with clients to resolve design and constructional issues.

You’ll also have the ability to supervise staff.

You may be expected to be part of an on-call rota for dangerous structures and you’ll be working on more complex schemes. You may also have responsibility for performance management. 

Education: You’ll need at least a Level 4 diploma in building control, a BTEC Higher in building or an NVQ .

Head of/Chief/Principal Building Control

You’ll have expert knowledge in building control and enforcement and related legislation as well as a great deal of experience in providing advice and assistance on these subjects.

As well as general staff management responsibilities, you’ll also be responsible for budgets, procurement and income generation and have business expertise in a competitive environment.

Education: A building control degree, building-related HND or degree.