A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an introductory level building control officer to join our established and professional building control team here at Maldon District Council.
We are looking for someone who is starting out in their career and has a working knowledge of the Building Regulations 2010 (as amended), with (or working towards) an appropriate qualification (RICS, CABE, CIOB). Consideration will also be given to those wishing to begin to work towards a qualification. There is a likelihood this role will become permanent with the opportunity for you to obtain your qualification through the authority whilst gaining valuable ‘on the job’ experience in a supportive and friendly environment.
Your role will include a mix of having responsibility for an area for site inspections, plan checking, reflective of your experience, and working proactively to retain and win building control work. You will need a full driving license and access to a vehicle in order to complete site inspections across the district.
You will need to be a team player, able to prioritise a busy workload and demonstrate a proactive approach to plan assessment and site inspection work, checking compliance with Building Regulations and associated legislation. You should be able to think, plan and act with a creative approach to problem solving and delivery in demanding circumstances and with competing priorities.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist with ensuring that building regulation applications are dealt with according to agreed targets and timescales.
- Assist with assessment of submitted plans and supporting information, negotiating with consultees, applicants and their agents and answering queries from members of the public and their elected representatives. Dealing with certificates/notifications with regard to the need for building control permission.
- Under supervision, take enforcement actions for non-compliance of Building Regulation requirements, including serving notices and attendance at court.
- Represent the department where necessary on internal/ external projects.
- Professionally assist the Senior Specialist and Lead Specialists in reviewing and implementing all aspects of the professional Building Control Service, procedures, policies, marketing and enforcement, in line with changing legislation and codes of practice.
- Ensure all policies, practices, legislation and codes of practice are adhered to.
- Promote a high level of customer satisfaction in accordance with Council Policies.
If you are currently training towards a role as a Building Control Surveyor or are willing to undertake training and are unsure if you would meet the essential criteria, please do not hesitate to contact us for an informal discussion.
We offer flexible new ways of agile working with the Council Offices based at Princes Road, Maldon available as required.
A vehicle and full driving licence is required for you to complete site inspections across the Maldon district.
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Matt Leigh (Lead Specialist) on 01621 732640.