A great opportunity for aspiring Building Control Surveyors
Brent Building Control are pleased to announce a fantastic opportunity it has for ambitious surveyors to join a successful and established team. We are based in our award-winning Brent Civic Centre, with views of Wembley Stadium, Wembley Arena and with the London Designer Outlet all right next door.
This a wonderful opportunity for Surveyors who want to develop their skills and gain invaluable experience working within our Major Projects Team and Domestic Surveying Team. You will be able to build on your existing qualifications and experience, working alongside Chartered Surveyors, Chartered Structural Engineers and Chartered Fire Engineers and supporting the Building Control Management Team.
We have a wealth of exciting challenges for part qualified/qualified and experienced Building Control Surveyors to work within our multi-disciplinary service. We have a wide range of residential domestic work, work on the world famous Wembley Stadium and new high-rise domestic and commercial developments.
We operate in a commercial environment providing excellent service to our varied customers and users of our service.
Brent is a tremendously vibrant London borough where the iconic arch of Wembley Stadium dominates the skyline. Spanning both inner and outer London, it is a borough of huge contrasts in terms of its economic, environmental, ethnic and social make up. Brent’s diversity is evident to all who visit our borough and our long history of ethnic and cultural diversity has created a place that is truly unique and valued by those who live and work here.
The council is pursuing a far-reaching transformation agenda that better meets the needs of our community so it is an exciting time to join us.
Located right in the heart of the Wembley regeneration area and working throughout Brent, we require an additional two Building Control Surveyors to supplement the existing Major Projects and District teams.
You will be responsible for delivering an effective Building Control to our clients on various domestic, commercial, mixed-use and complex high-rise projects.
We are looking to recruit enthusiastic, flexible, forward thinking, ambitious and customer focussed surveyors with relevant Building Control knowledge and experience of dealing with Building Regulation applications at plan examination and site inspection stages.
You will need to be an effective communicator with all stakeholders, technically sound with the ability to promote and represent the Building Control service.
Your will support and assist the service in delivering projects on time, while ensuring compliance with Building Regulations and other statutory requirements.
We will require staff to work towards Level 6 Fire Safety Competence Validation and it is desirable if applicants already hold this certification.
Training will be provided for staff to obtain certification at all levels of competence once established by LABC
You will need a full driving licence and the use of a car to undertake the duties.
Principal accountabilities and responsibilities
- With regard to the interpretation and enforcement of Building Regulations and other relevant legislation
- Carry out plan examinations (including where appropriate general structural matters) within agreed deadlines, to a high standard, prepare reports, and negotiate with applicants and/or agents to ensure satisfactory compliance with the Regulations
- Carry out site inspections of building work at various stages of construction to an agreed regime, in all weathers and conditions and record effectively the results and outcomes
- Carry out checks for unauthorised works and non-compliance works including preparation of evidence / reports / letters to applicants, as required
- Develop and enhance knowledge of legislation, methods of construction and construction-related matters. Periodically review relevant legislation / guidance to ensure that the council is always operating ‘best practice’
- Provide cover for technical administrative duties, as required, to ensure effective processing of applications, validations, etc. including work relating to team inboxes, emails, digital post boxes and other areas
- The postholder will provide frontline technical advice and undertake workload using judgement, experience, knowledge and interpersonal skills. You will provide pre-application advice, review, monitor and determine proposals together with on-site inspection and, as appropriate carry out enforcement action to ensure compliance with the relevant legislation
- Respond to emails, letters, telephone, or face to face enquiries from members of the public and other stakeholders providing advice and guidance
- Provide a full regulatory service including surveillance of building work, following-up on reports relating to unauthorised works, dangerous structures, checking for compliance of building works on allocated district work and support other departments of the council
- Advise on Building Regulations charging scheme, legislation and local schemes and be able to explain, discuss and determine charges in relation to particular projects
- Responsible for the determination, challenge and processing of work relating to acceptance, rejection or invalidation of Initial Notices submitted to local authorities by Approved Inspectors and will enforce appropriate legislation. negotiate and correspond with Approved Inspectors, prepare reports / evidence and information to submit in support of determinations, etc
- Investigate and respond to customer / solicitor enquiries, complaints and legal matters, as required.
- Responsible for naming and numbering process and will assist with determining correct addresses in accordance with agreed protocols in association with admin and managers. Resolve naming and numbering enquiries and resolving conflicts where appropriate
- Assist in the development, implementation and operation of new / improved ways of working, developing new areas of business and services, as appropriate
- Promote the council, department and the Building Control service to clients and customers including contractors, agents and residents at all times. The post-holder must understand and be able to operate in a context of competition with the private sector for the provision of services to secure work for the council and maximise income
- Contribute towards achieving and maintaining corporate and service objectives (as may be set out in the service plan) and to assist with developing and maintaining written procedures in connection with the quality system
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and well-being of children and vulnerable adults
- Carry out duties with due regard to the council’s customer care, equal opportunities, information governance, data protection, health and safety and emergency planning and awareness (including to provide assistance where available) policies and procedures
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post
- Employees should embed environmental sustainability into their work, actively contributing to Brent becoming a carbon-neutral borough in 2030
(P02) – as above plus:
- Undertake general structural calculation checks and provide help and guidance to applicants, builders, etc. in relation to residential alterations and extensions, loft conversions, etc. together with commercial projects
- Led on delegated projects. To act as a primary contact in relation to Building Regulations and other Building Control matters and supplementary consultancy work, as applicable
- Assist in provision of any additional professional services which may be introduced in respect of supplementary consultancy works as may be required from time to time (including work across borough boundaries) in relation to partnership working
- Provide adequate guidance and support to colleagues as and when required
(P03) – as above plus:
- Undertake work in relation to more complex residential and commercial projects incorporating innovative design solutions
- Assist the Major Projects team in the checking of plans and inspection of building works
- Develop good working relationships with new partners. Encourage new partners into the LABC scheme, manage process and lead on client expectation
- As required, develop standard solutions / design guides in respect of Building Regulation matters
(P04) – as above plus:
- Undertake initial investigation of alleged dangerous structures, as delegated, including report and assistance in preparation of any required notices
- Be the primary source of guidance for our stakeholders with regard to technical, administrative, charging and legislative knowledge
- Investigate complaints, prepare reports and complete responses on the corporate complaints system as required
- Undertake complex analysis of buildings, building systems and construction material in respect of all aspects of the Building Regulations
- Generate reports to assist with processing of applications and service targets
- Set agendas, take minutes and attend / chair technical meetings with clients on behalf of the service
- Undertake and present special service development projects, as appropriate.
Progression to the higher grade will be determined through assessment(s) carried out at time of appraisals to confirm satisfactory understanding, experience and qualification of the higher duties and functions.
P01-P04: Completed Building Engineering, Building Surveying or other (relevant)
construction related degree.
P01-P02: Associated member of CABE, RICS, CIOB, IStructE or ICE
P03-P04: Full member of CABE, RICS, CIOB, IStructE or ICE
Have a commitment to undertake the Level 6 – LABC Fire Safety Competence Validation Certificate
In all cases, the post-holder must take responsibility for continuously enhancing his/her own learning through Continuous Professional Development.
In all cases, the post-holder should have a full UK driving licence and access to a car to travel to sites within and outside the borough.
Skills and abilities (please specify all essential criteria):
Ability to work to agreed targets and deadlines.
Strong ability to communicate with our stakeholders via direct contact and/or telephone, emails, letters and in meetings.
Understanding of good customer service and providing a quality service.
Strong capability to research products and systems for compliance with the Building Regulations.
Ability to undertake site inspections throughout the borough (and, on occasion outside of borough) over rough terrain, at heights, on construction sites, residents homes, businesses, etc.
Ability to manage own workload and work remotely with minimum supervision.
Ability to operate within a competitive market and promote the service to our customers.
Ability to undertake enforcement work to ensure satisfactory outcomes, including preparation of reports and acting as expert witness, as appropriate.
P02: as above plus
Ability to check structural calculations for domestic projects.
Ability to lead on service review projects.
Capable of leading a project team.
P03: as above plus
Ability to make challenging and complex decisions involving life safety and financial implications for stakeholders and the council.
Ability to assist in the preparation of new services.
Ability to provide excellent services to our partners and customers.
Ability to investigate service complaints and prepare formal responses.
Skills and abilities:
P04: as above plus
The post-holder must be capable of assisting the marketing and promotion of Local Authority Building Control to clients, developers and contractors, negotiation of service levels, charges, etc.
The post-holder must have good analytical / research skills to appraise complex, unique and innovative solutions
Ability to undertake special / research projects as required and agreed with line manager to develop services
Ability to survey dangerous structures, prepare documentation and instruct owners to remove danger.
Ability to understand the service database and generate appropriate performance reports.
Ability to manage and chair meetings
CSCS Site Safety Card or equivalent
Other specialist qualification would be an advantage and taken into
account when deciding the level of appointment.
To assist the Building Control Service in carrying out its regulatory function of supervising building works through the examination of construction plans / specification and site inspections for compliance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation.
Promote the Building Control Service / council and to work effectively, contributing to the delivery of high quality, cost-effective, customer-focussed services and to ensure corporate and service objectives are achieved at all times providing quality technical support to all stakeholders.